Three Chosen Kids + One Disaster after Another = a Saved Planet

Friday, November 4, 2011

Chapter 4

S                              Chapter 4:
A                    
V                                   Actions have consequences
R                                          
I                                              
N




[Zaydie asks the question: ‘why do you have such serious titles?! mine seem so frivolous compared to yours.’ Well it’s just because I want people to know the seriousness along with the fun stuff.]
Well as soon as we stepped out into the rain. Our hands were practically ripped out of our sockets as we were propelled into an alleyway.
Zaydie was the first to act. Not that it did her much good.
“Stop that Zaydie!” A firm female voice commanded. Zaydie did stop and was let go.
“Brinlynn! What the...?!” I was let go as well and came face-to-face with Braxlin. Should have known.
“What were you thinking?!” Zaydie’s mentor, Brin, barked.
“We were-” she put up her hand to stop Zaydie from talking.
“I wasn’t asking you!” she then turned her icy gaze on me.
oh great.
“you know the rules Savrin.” Brax told me in a bored voice as he examined the sky. There was a reason why I hadn’t seen Zaydie for four years. A stupid reason, but a reason none the less.
“boys and girls are not allowed to be alone. Together.” Brinlynn looked directly at Zaydie, who returned the glare.
“And that’s for the Helfins! The rule is even more explicit for the Shiev!” Brin added. My jaw dropped, and Zaydie became furious.
“We didn’t do anything!!” she growled.
“That’s not what the locals are saying.” Brax cut in. “Their saying that you knocked each other up.” We both stared at him in pure shock.
“Can I punch him?” Zaydie asked. Looking from her mentor to me.
“Sure. Be my guest. I can’t even touch him.” I grumbled.
“Zaydie what happened?” I noticed that Brin’s voice was toned down a notch.
Zaydie sighed.
“I got pissed off at him,” she pointed at Brax. “for making me do his dirty work, because he was to much of a lazy butt! to do it himself-”
“It wasn’t dirty work.” Braxlin piped up in his defense. I snorted.
Zaydie ignored him.
“So I jumped the wall and ran down the streets. Savrin followed me at his own risk. I didn’t know who it was, so I went into defense mode. Jumping up on a roof, I kicked him away from me, and we fought! and I lost it ok?!” Brin rose an eyebrow. “I cried into his shoulder, that’s about as physical as it got!” She left out the part where I sat on her. But that was clearly defense and obviously part of the fight. [Yes Zaydie it was. Sheesh]
“No kissing?” I shook my head in disbelief, and Zaydie groaned in embarrassment.
“Brin!”
“What?! as your “big sister” I have to ask these things!” Brinlynn stated.
“No! Obviously there was no kissing! he bought me a cup of coffee.”
“Coffee? who buys a girl a cup of coffee?!” I threw my hands up.
“Iyiyiy! Why did I even bother?!”
“Now a cup of tea! that’s good. Especially if-”
“It’s cherry.” Zaydie finished for her. [Cherry tea huh?] Brinlynn gave her a wink.
“Ok! back to the subject at hand please.” Braxlin announced. “What are we going to do with these two?”
“Give them off with a warning, make ‘em work hard tomorrow.” Brinlynn said in a very mater-of-fact tone. I was shocked when Braxlin nodded in agreement. [he hardly ever agrees with anyone!]


Back on the Military base, I was drilled, and drilled and drilled. Over, and over, and over again. And it was raining again on top of that.
Do you know what it feels like to roll around in the mud, get beaten with in an inch of your life, and then told to get up and do it again? [no you probably haven’t have you?]
But I'd say I got off pretty easy.
[Yeah...easy]

I had just crawled out of the barbed wire pit when Braxlin called.
"That's enough. You've been summoned to the President's office. I suggest you go clean yourself up.” He must have seen my shocked look. [Yeah I was shocked. I had never been summoned by the President before. duh.]
“what ever you do. Keep your cool.” Brax said as I passed him. I looked at the gates and nodded.

It felt weird walking down the streets of Konsor, headed to the President’s personal house. I had a strong sense of déjà vu. But it was thrown off because in the "other" Konsor, everything was smoldering in flames of bombs. [or something]

I was the only one clothed in complete black. I stuck out like a sore thumb. All the kids stopped and stared at me. But I suppose that's to be expected. It's not every day they see someone with silver-grey eyes.
Walking down the streets the rain started to light up, as I stuck to the shadows of the alleys.
Once I came to the tall gates of his mansion, a guard came out and stepped in front of me.
"State your business." he called in a harsh tone. He hadn't looked me in the eye yet. So he obviously didn't know what rank I had over him.
"I'm here on...business."
"Why you-" He then looked me in the eyes and pure shock and horror spread across his face. He made a hasty bow, I noticed that his hands were shaking.
"I'm sorry my lord. You are here to see President Valadamir are you not?” I gave a stiff nod.
The guard moved aside and the gates opened with out a creak. [I wonder how much they have to oil it to keep it that way.]

I walked across the gravel stone pathway lined with roses, that led up to the front doors. Checking the systems on my gloves, I walked up to the large front doors.
As I reached for the door handle, Someone moved inside, I could see him from the window, but it was the window that caught my attention. It was the same one that Zaydie almost broke in the simulation.
I was brought back to the present when the door handle moved under my  hand. [and no it wasn’t me]
Before me stood a cute maid [Ow! don’t hit me. I’m sorry it’s the only word to describe her! sheesh.]
she wore the traditional black and red of a maid and her short hair was tucked behind her ears.
“Are you lord Savrin? the Shievan?” I nodded. “Please follow me.”
The maid led me up the grand staircase and into the room right in front of it. Glancing up I saw that my hunch before in the simulation was right. The entire roof was made of glass.

The room that the maid left me in was long and large. A few shafts of golden sunrays that had managed to poke through the grey clouds, cut through the glass, though on each pillar in the room, a candle was lit.
I moved silently along the red carpet that ran from the front of the room to the tall chair sitting on the raised dais.
One thing that I certainly wasn’t expecting, was that besides the President, I wasn’t the only one in the room.
I came up and stood at attention next to Zaydie, who had watched me through the corner of her eye.
I noticed the ever so subtle hint of shock in her eyes, but she was good at keeping her face composed.
I turned my face to look dead ahead. I found a man sitting on the throne...well I wouldn’t call him a man...exactly.
He was...my age.

I was slightly taken aback when I laid eyes on him. He couldn’t be more then 16. His black hair grazed his shoulders, [which annoyed Zaydie for the record] and his shocking green eyes looked playful.
He had on a smile and his head was cocked to one side.
“Well, I finally have everyone here,” I met his gaze, as he rose from his chair. He had on an expensive looking suite but it was all black. Everything’s black.
“Excellent.” He lazily waved his hand at us, beckoning us to follow him as he moved around the backside of his tall dark throne.
I let Zaydie pass before me, but I was close behind her.
“You were right.” She whispered, glancing over her shoulder, piercing me with her silver eyes.
“The roof is made of glass.”
A smile crept across my face. But it was quickly gone as she ducked behind the throne.

I followed Zaydie through a door behind the chair, and we came into a long dark hallway, lit only by soft glowing orbs.
The President led us down several stair cases and finally stopped in front of a door. He swiped his arm in front of a panel imbedded in the wall.
The door slid open by it’s self.
Now we have lots of those kind of doors on the military base. But everything I had seen in the President’s mansion was old school. The wooden doors, the glass roof, all the flowers?
But looking at this guy, he didn’t really seem one to have a love for flowers.
“Something troubles you...Savrin?” My head jerked up. Again I met the cool gaze of the President.
“No sir.” A small smirk appeared on his face.
“I see.” Then he led us into the room.

The room was similar to the simulation room. Only it wasn’t a simulation room. Everything was white, and everything seemed to reflect some kind of light that came from no where.
Several doctors sat behind holopad screens, tapping away.
“Sir, I have a question.” Zaydie spoke up. Her hands were clasped behind her back, her fingers were messing with the edge of her leather jacket.
Valadamir turned to her with a kind smile that I automatically didn’t like.
“Yes?”
“Why is it that down here everything is like the military base, and for a matter of fact almost every other home in Konsor. But up stairs in your mansion it’s all...”
“Old?”
Zaydie nodded.
“Ah yes. My dear mother use to love nature. So I keep that as a reminder.” Zaydie opened her mouth to say more, but then placed a hand on her lips and stopped herself.
Valadamir paused and let his gaze linger a little longer on her, before turning.
To my own surprise my hands balled up into fists. I shook my head slightly. What was wrong with me?!

“Now both of you come here.”
We moved silently across the tiled floor toward Valadamir. He stood over a small table, and as we drew closer I noticed that on top of the table, two vials were placed delicately on a velvet cloth.
"If I may ask. What happened to your other body guard?" On impulse, I closed the distance between Zaydie's back and myself, I reached out and gripped her hand hard. Though it didn't phase her composition, she did dig her nails into my hand.
"No it's alright. I shall indulge the lady." By his ice cold glare I knew he meant that I should take a step back and leave her alone.
As soon as I did, he turned back to her. "He proved to be week, useless, and utterly pitiful. He cracked." He stated simply with a shrug of his shoulders. "But that is where you two come in." He turned back to the two vials on the table. I glanced down at Zaydie to see that she was already looking at me with a scared look in her eyes. I gave her hand a gentle, quick squeeze.
"I have found that I am going to need extra protection very soon-"
"And why's that sir?" Oi, this girl is definitely going to be the death of me.
Valadamir turned to her with a cocky grin that I didn't like. Not one bit.
"That you will have to find out for yourselves when the times right dear Zaydie." The same feeling hit me again. Only stronger this time. I can't explain it any other way except, a need to defend Zaydie. The reason?
No idea.
Still working on that.

"But onto more pressing  matters." He snapped his fingers and we were suddenly grasped from behind. Instantly we both went into action. Only we found that who ever had us were much stronger then we were.
"Please do not struggle. For you own sake. I promise they are not to harm you." Valadamir said casually. He picked up the first vile, and moved over to Zaydie. She was frozen as a needle projected out of it. Her fear was plastered all over her face.
And I could understand why.
No Shiev liked to be around needles after Sindo had been transplanted in them.
"I can't promise this wont hurt. But I hope..." He took a hold of her right arm, her forearm up. "For your sake that it doesn't...for to long that is." I could tell he didn't really mean it. He plunged the needle into her arm and pressed a button at the top. Sending the clear fluid into Zaydie's body.
Zaydie's scream agonized me. I was helpless. I couldn't do anything!
And that killed me.
The tears fell down her face. as more liquid was pushed into her system, the farther she collapsed to her knees.
Valadamir finally pulled the needle from her skin and gently let go of her arm. The guard had let go of her, she was now on the floor crying quietly. She pulled her arm close to her body, I noticed as the silver tears ran down her chin and dropped onto her hurt arm.
That's when Valadamir came for me.

The pain was excruciating. That's all I can explain it as. As soon as it was over I could understand why Zaydie was still in silent tears.
"What the hell-"
Zaydie slapped my arm. Always the good girl.
But it only made my blood boil when Valadamir chuckled.
"Was that for?!" I continued. Not able to keep the anger from my tone.
Valadamir crouched down before Zaydie with what seemed to be a look of concern on his face.
"I'm so sorry you had to go through something that painful dear Kana." That was crossing the line! The name 'Kana' was only used by a lover. It meant 'my beautiful flower' but what got me the worst, was that Zaydie didn't say anything about it! There wasn't even a flash of anger in her silver doe eyes. If I had called her that she would have thrown me halfway across Konsor!

Valadamir offered out a hand to her, and she took it!
[yes, at that point I was ready to show this twerp what a Shievan was really made of!]
"You see, even through the doors upstairs may look old, everything there has top class security. Did you notice the panel outside the door?" Valadamir laughed at himself. "Of course you did." He then glanced down at his own right arm.
"Inside those vials were steel capsules that will act as keys. As my new bodyguards, you will have to have access to those rooms. And now you do."
Man I was really starting to hate this guy.
"Now, if you would," He gestured over to a doctor. "Please allow them to activate the key." He must have seen Zaydie hesitate, because he took her hand and gently guided her to the doctor, who had her sit in a chair next to a table that held several instruments on it.
"This, I can promise, will not hurt." Valadamir motioned for me to stand next to the chair where Zaydie sat.
The doctor picked up, what looked like a cone shaped box. [it was wider at the top, then grew skinny down at the handle.]
Pressing one of the dials, he pointed the end of it at Zaydie's arm. All that came out was a beam of purple-white light, there was a beep and the doctor pressed more buttons. Creating another beep.
He then did the same to me. Valadamir was speaking the truth when he said it wouldn't hurt. All it was was a shaft of light. [well...for the most part.]

Once we were finished there, the both of us were still slightly shaken up from what had just had happened. My arm was still quite sore, and I noticed that Zaydie was still holding her arm close to her stomach.
Valadamir had led us back into the throne room and was now constructing us on how we were to guard him.
"Both of you are to stay two paces behind me. Savrin, you will be positioned on my left. Zaydie, you will be on my right. There is no need to guard me in my personal chambers, and a few other places.
You will both have separate quarters here in the mansion, you will be right across the hall from each other, and my own quarters are right down the hall."
Valadamir clapped his hands once, and the same maid from before appeared. [Ow! Zaydie stop hitting me!!]
"Mai will show you to your rooms. Latter tonight I will allow you to go back to the military base to say your 'good-byes' and to get your things." He gave a head nod to Mai, and she gestured for the two of us to follow her.
"Thank you my lord." Zaydie said respectfully, as she dipped into a graceful curtsy. Oh yeah. It was hard to remember that this 16-year-old was higher in rank then I was. Hmm...
I too, followed Zaydie's example, and bowed slightly before the President. He nodded his head in response, and then we were whisked away from the throne room, and were taken down another hall.
But as we left the throne room, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. Heading the warning, I let my senses sweep the area, my eyes doing the same. But I couldn't see anything through the shadows that the dark clouds from outside were casting.
"What is it?"
I turned to see that Zaydie was speaking to me. I shook my head slightly, and put on a slight smile.
"Nothing."
She looked at me a moment longer before returning my smile.
There was no need to worry her.
At least not now.

Mai led us right up to a door and gestured to it.
"This is your room ma'am. And your's sir, is right across the hall here." She pointed to another door across the hallway.
I gave her a chin up nod, and she left.
I looked up and saw Zaydie look as if... as if my dad had just handed her that one credit when she turned twelve.
"I'm off to scout out my new room!" She gave a salute and marched off into her room.
The big brown door swung shut. Leaving me on her door step... literally.
The door opened again and she stuck her head out.
"You comin'?" Her brown locks framed her slim face, and her silver eyes were extremely playful.
I laughed and gave a shrug.
"Sure."
She dashed back inside, and I think I heard her giggle.
Girls will be girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment