Three Chosen Kids + One Disaster after Another = a Saved Planet

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Chapter 13

Z                                     Chapter: 13
A
Y                                              Time is precious
D                                                          as are friends
I
E



We didn’t “resume” our “game” that day. Instead I practiced with Zindra [Kylun says I cheated by using my Power to make the arrow hit the mark. Bah! rubbish!]
And the boys wasted time.

“Why don’t you practice?” I asked, taking aim again.
“With what? We get no where if we battle each other.” Sav complained.
“Your that good huh?” I let the arrow go and it missed it’s mark again. But this time not as much as the others. I was getting closer!
“Ugh. Maybe I’m doing something wrong.” I muttered.
“Well you had your arm positioned perfectly.” Kylun said from behind me. “Maybe it’s your lack of aim.”
I turned around and hit his chest.
Only my palm hit something hard. Not as in muscle hard, but as in metal hard.
“What was that?” I asked.
Kylun glanced down then slipped his hand into his collar.
He pulled out a silver chain, and at the end a medallion hung on it.
The medallion  was silver and round. [duh] On it was a dragon, but as I looked closer I saw that standing in front of the dragon was two people.
And they looked like they were fighting it.
The boy held out a sword, while the girl [I knew that, because she had long flowing hair] had light coming out of her hands.
But what I liked the most about it, was the fact that the two of them fought hand in hand, side by side. Ready to pick up the other if he falls, or to take his place if necessary.

“It’s beautiful...” I said quietly, then I moved away slightly. “Where’d you get it?”
Kylun slipped it back under his shirt.
“It was given to me.”
“By who?”
He turned and looked at me.
“I don’t know.”
“Oh... well it’s awfully pretty. I wonder who the two people were.”
Kylun shrugged.
"Beats me."
"Hmm..." I turned back to the range and moved my hair over my shoulder.
I took up Zindra again and took aim. Then was aware of the fact that both boys were watching me.
"Go practice your Powers for Pete's sake!" I shouted.
Both of them chuckled and walked off.
I smiled and shook my head.
Letting go of the string, the arrow missed it's mark... yet again.
Hey it's a working progress!

After I had had enough training with Zindra, I decided to go to the library.
"Alright. Be careful though." Savrin warned as he blocked a slice from a training droid.
"She'll be fine. And if not, I'll know about it." Kylun said with a smile that I think was suppose to be reassuring.

Back in the main part of the mansion, I headed for the library.
Taking my sash off my waist, I tied it around my head to keep my hair out of my face.

Heading over to a computer monitor, I quickly typed in 'Presidential Curse'.
It came up with nothing.
Hmm...
I found my fingers typing in 'Kylun Lustrin'
It came up with one entry.
Checking it out, I found that all it was was his birth record. Boring. [however I did find out that he's actually 17!! who knew?! besides him and the Creator obviously. But 17! he's older then either of us! Sav and I, I mean]

I was about to place the book back when I saw something peculiar about the wood behind it. It was out farther then the rest of the shelf.
Knocking on the wood it suddenly popped out. Making me jump. Prying back the wood panel, I found a leather bound notebook, held closed by a cord wrapped around it.
Taking two other books, I slipped the notebook in between them. Placing the panel back and putting the record book away, I started to walk away.
"Wait Zaydie." I paused.
"Is that you Tasin?"
"yeah."
I pretended to examine another book.
"I think you should look in section A. You'll find someone very interesting there."
Then she was gone.
I casually walked to section A and begun to search shelves.
Who was I looking for?
'someone very interesting' wasn't exactly enough to go on.

I ran my fingers across the titles of the old volumes. Wishing I had enough time to read them all.
I found one that was leather bound and looked really old.
Taking it out just out of curiosity, I almost dropped it.
The title written on the top in black bold letters said; 'The accounts of the Chosen Three' I glanced at the author, though I already had a suspicion on who it was.
'documented by Aarek'
I stuck it under my two [well three if you count the notebook] books and walked out.
"Hey I'm done. Heading back, I'll be on the couch." I reported into the com.
"Alright. Find the books you were looking for? you looked shocked." Savrin asked.
I sighed.
"Was he spying on me again?!"
Savrin laughed.
"Hey it was him not me."
"Uh-huh. Right 'cause I'll believe that." I stated sarcastically.

Back in Kylun's place I piled the books around me and picked up the one written by Aarek.
The illistraited cover was what freaked me out the most.
It was the same image that was on Kylun's medallion.
The couple fighting the dragon.
But as I moved the book, the image changed.
Now replacing the dragon and the couple fighting, was three kids standing around an open fire with their hands linked together. Their gaze heavenwards.
And looking down at them was a gold light, but in it was the vague image of a man with brown hair.
The Creator himself.

The book was locked by a complicated looking lock on the right edge.
Shoving a pillow behind me, I curled up with the book and ran my fingers over the lock. It started to glow a soft yellow. [I know by now I really should stop acting so shocked] but I did, and I jumped slightly.
As I studied the lock, I found that it was three hands on top of one another.
As the lock undid it's self, the first hand moved off, then the second, followed by the third.
The book popped open a little.
Opening the cover I found thick yellow pages covered in drawings, notes, and writings.
But the amazing thing was, that it all looked hand written!!

"Dear reader,
If you have found this,
then I must have passed away.
Yes, I'm afraid the three of us must
be dead.
But I have taken the liberty to write
down what we have gone through
to save this doomed planet.
And through this book, we will
live on.
Time... will remember us.

This will be an account that I
trust you will keep safe.
If in the wrong hands, it could
destroy everything we have
worked so hard to protect..."

Aarek went onto say how the three of them came together. And how only the Creator could have pulled it all off.

"...Though I know we will face
many trials, and pain, and suffering,
in trying to save this planet.
The Creator is on our side!!
And with Him for us,
Who dares stand against us?!"

Such enthusiasm for one who knew he could very well die on his mission!
I guess the strength that Aarek had, gave me strength to believe that the Creator was never going to abandon us at the first sign of trouble, or that with His strength, and with Him beside me, I could stand tall and not cower under Evil's sneer.

I read, and read, and read! Soaking in every word, taking in every detail and picture.
The boys didn’t come back, they were still probably working out, or beating each other up. I wasn’t to worried.

It got late, real late, before my eyes started to droop, and the book became to heavy to hold any more.
It fell against my chest and my eyes closed.

A little while latter I heard the boys come back. I had half a mind to open my eyes. But I decided against it.
I was vaguely aware of someone picking me up gently.
I couldn’t figure out who it was till my hand brushed up against a round metal thing covered by cloth.
It was Kylun.
My mind wasn’t working enough to be embarrassed though.
He whispered something over his shoulder, then I felt another hand on my arm. Sav.
Followed by a slight tingling feeling.

Almost immediately after, I was set down on a bed, my boots removed [and Sav wants you to know that that was all, and he was the one to take them off.] and warm covers were pulled up to my shoulders.
“G’night Zaydie.” Someone whispered.
I then fell back into a peaceful sleep.

                                                 F

I woke up to a cold wind on my face.
Opening my groggy eyes, I saw that it was still dark outside, but already it was beginning to get a little light on the horizon.
But that’s when I noticed that the lowest row of glass on the high window nearest my bed, was open.
I slowly pulled myself off the bed and wrapped a blanket around my shoulders.
Walking to the window, I looked out. All I could see was the roof, till I took a second glance and saw a silhouette.

Stepping out on to the roof, I sat down next to him.
“Pretty aren’t they?” I asked, gazing up at the stars.
“Yeah.” Kylun muttered. “this is my favorite part of the night.”
“The dawn?”
He nodded.
“Yeah. The fading of yet another night, that’s either filled with monsters... or angels. And then comes the dawn of a new morning. A fresh start to everything!
Life, chances, and most importantly, the Creator’s new mercies.”
I smiled as I watched the horizon.
“That’s my favorite star.” I pointed to the brightest star near the moon.
“Why that one?”
“Because, my sister and I made a pact when we were small.
That if we were ever separated and lonely, then to look up at that star and know that she was looking at the same one.”
“Mmm... that’s a good promise. Mine is the next star over to yours.”
Kylun said softly, pointing to another.
“Why that one?” I quoted, looking at him with a playful smile.
“Because that was my mom’s star.” Oh... “So when I get lonely or I miss her, then I look at that star and thank the Creator for everything she was. Not just to me, but to everyone she came in contact with. She brought smiles on every sad and hopeless face. Everyone loved her.”
A small tear slid down my cheek.
“You’ll see her again. And then you can spend as much time as you like with her.” I whispered as I looped my arm through his and rested my head on his shoulder.
I sensed him looking at me in surprise, but then he looked back out at the dawn.
The sun finally peaked it’s sleepy head out. Turning the sky a vibrant shade of pink.
“So, now that the night has officially faded, tell me. Was this night full of monsters?” I asked, lifting my head.
“No. Definitely not.” He answered turning to me with a smile.
“Good. I’m glad to hear that.” I said with a chuckle.
“Well, I have to go take a shower. The President has an appointment at some odd hour in the morning. So I had better get ready.”
I said, getting up to leave.
“Alright, see you latter then.” Kylun called.
I paused at the window, then turned back.
“Hey,” Kylun turned around. “Thanks... for telling me about your mom.” I finished with a smile.
“Thanks for listening.”
“Always.” I whispered more to myself then to him.

After my shower, I braided my hair and threw my clothes on.
Meeting Savrin out in the hall, we started walking to the throne room.
“Sleep good?”
I smiled.
“yeah. But I woke up early enough to see the stars fade, and to see the sun rise.”
“You always did like staying outside long enough to see your star.” He commented.
I nodded.
“Yes. I’ve kept my promise.”
“I’m sure you have Zaydie. I’m sure you have.” Savrin said, looking down at me with a kind and all-knowing smile.
Yes... I have.

Standing two steps behind Valadamir all day was boring! Until I remembered that I had a job to do.
After I remembered that, I started to pay attention to the small details. Watching for anything that might hint something hinky in the throne room, or the President’s office. [He spent most of his time there, it’s also the place where Shadow Man was in the video]

“You are dismissed. I shall call you when I need you again.”  Valadamir ordered. “I have an appointment.”
“But you don’t have a scheduled appointment.” I said quickly.
Valad turned a sad faced to me.
“Ah yes dear Kana,” I could sense Sav tense. “But I have an unscheduled appointment my dear, now if you please.” He gestured to the door.
As I turned to leave my hands balled up into fists.
“I’m not your kana.” I stated through gritted teeth.

“Kylun!” I shouted as soon as we were in a deserted hall.
I heard a crash in the room and looked around.
Finding the shadow it came from. I pin pointed it and let my senses wash over it.
Yeah he was there.
“What’d I do now?” He asked, coming out from hiding.
“Huh?!”
He shook his head as soon as he figured out my mood.
“Your brother has an “unscheduled” appointment.” I explained.
“Alright! now we’re getting somewhere.” He said with an excited tone and smile.
“did you ever happen to fix that camera?” Sav asked.
Kylun froze.
“I’ll take that as a no...”
Climbing up onto the roof was out of the question. To easy to be spotted seeing as the entire thing was made of glass!
I snapped my fingers.
“I got it!”
Both boys looked at me intently.
“The air vents!”
“Yes! those are big enough for a person to crawl through.” Kylun started to pace.
“But their only big enough for someone small. There’s also lasers in there that will need to be disabled. And who do we know that’s small and able to control things?” Guess where all eyes landed? yeah that’s right. Me!
Oh great.
Kylun instructed me to go to the “wardrobe” and get pants.
So off I marched.

In the wardrobe, I searched for long pants that could slide across metal easily.
I finally found some, and even a new shirt.
Changing as quickly as possible, I kept as much weight off me as possible.

Knock, knock

I jumped and quickly glanced in the mirror. I didn’t like the outfit. To tight looking. Now crawling through an air vent I had to have clothes that wouldn’t get in my way. These did the job, but I can’t say it was good looking.
“Who is it?” I called out.
“Kylun,” Of course! who else. “I’ve got some  equipment for ya.” I glanced around. where were those sweat pants?!
“Hey, uh, Kylun, is there a pair of sweat pants out there?”
“Um... yeah.”
Great. “Do you need me to pass them to you?”
“Yes please.” I positioned myself behind the door and opened it.
A pair of blue sweat pants were tossed into the room.
“Thanks.” I shut the door and threw them on.
Slipping on a jacket and small light weight running shoes, I stepped outside.
I found Kylun holding something in his hand.
“You do realize that your crawling in an air vent right?” he asked.
I nodded.
“yeah I know.”
He eyed my outfit but didn’t say anything.
“here, switch out your ear piece.”
I took mine out and put in the identical one Kylun was handing to me.
“This one is tuned into a safe line so we can talk freely. Savrin and I will be down in the computer room. We’ll tell you where to go and I’ll come get you when your done or in trouble.” I nodded as we walked up to an air vent in an old hallway.
“Take this and put it in place when you get to the vent that goes to his office.” He handed me a small video camera.
I shoved it in my pocket and looked up at the vent near the roof.
The air vents ran through the walls instead of the roof [seeing as it was made of glass]
I took care of the cameras as I always did when I was going to Kylun’s place.
Then I carefully used my Controlium to take the cover off.
Kylun cupped his hands, offering me a boost.
"Hey guys can you hang on a sec?" Sav asked over the com. I paused.
"Yeah what's up?" I asked.
"I think we need to pray." I smiled.
"Go ahead Sav." I encouraged.
"Ok. Dear Creator. Be with us as we attempt this insane mission and forgive me for putting Zaydie in danger. Please guide and protect us as we try to save this planet. Amen."
I nodded.
"Thanks Sav."
"Yup. Now go get us something to go on!" I laughed.
I placed my foot in his locked fingers and reached up to the vent opening.
“Wow. your a lot lighter then I expected.” Kylun mumbled. I chuckled.
“what were you expecting?” I used my arms to pull my body into the vent.
“You good?” Kylun asked.
I turned around, [which took some doing in such close quarters] and gave him a thumbs up.
I used my Power again and got the vent covering back in place.

“Testing 1, 2, 3. Can you hear me?” I asked into the com.
“Loud ‘n clear Zaydie. You need to go strait.” Sav ordered.
I rolled my eyes.
“Well I kind of figured that.” I muttered.

I took the boys’ directions and also kept an eye out for lasers the entire time. [very tiring by the way]
Crawling around on all fours with my head down low to keep from hitting the top was very straining.
“Take the next left.” Kylun directed. I took a deep breathe and peeked around the corner.
“You ok?” Savrin asked.
“Well I sure hope I’m almost there, because my chest is starting to tighten and I’m getting slightly dizzy.” I answered.
I ducked back around the corner as a laser moved past.
Reaching up, I disabled it along with it’s partner.
“Are you claustrophobic?” Kylun asked.
I paused.
“no.”
“Yes she is.” Sav interrupted.
I groaned and started crawling ahead.
“Oh come on Zaydie! you had Sav tell me?!”
I sighed. That was one thing I hadn’t even told Savrin! [and no, it’s not because I don’t trust you Sav]
“Maybe I didn’t tell you because I knew you would make fun of me.” I suggested.
“To your right. Why would I make fun of you?” Her persisted.
“Because your a guy. And don’t all guys sneer at any sign of weakness? Even from a small six year old girl.” I said hotly.
Both boys were quiet, and I took a deep breath.
Turning around the next corner I came to another air vent. And this one was viewing into Valadamir’s office.
I pulled out the new camera slowly as I watched.

Valadamir was pacing in front of his desk with his chin in his hands.
“... I have almost finished programming Sindo.” He said. Looking harder I could see the Shadow Man sitting in the desk’s overly large chair.
“And once that is finished, stage two will be complete.”
The camera slipped out of my hand, making a low thud sound.
I ducked my head as Valadamir and his guest looked up.
I forced myself to breath as I took a peek.
Valadamir was facing Shadow man again and soon went on talking.
“Soon phase three will begin and all of the Shievan will be taking new orders my lord.”
Ooh no.
“That can’t be good.” I whispered into the com.
“yeah. Be real quiet. Try to figure out what their talking about if you can.”
I positioned the camera so hopefully the boys could get some good feed. Switching it on I forced my hand over it so the beep was muffled.
But Valad had serious hearing.
He turned his head ever so slightly.
“Is it possible that things have gone a little to slowly?” Shadow man asked.
“Things like this take time and planning. It’s hard to get things like this ready but it’s finally coming together so things well be ready soon. I promise.”  Valadamir said quickly.
The Shadow Man nodded slowly.
“We only have a few short days before the plan continues. So you shall need to hurry up Valadamir. Or you know what will happen.”
Valadamir nodded solemnly.
“Now, I have other matters to attend to. I will see you soon. And by then I expect it all to have been finished.”
The Shadow Man got up to leave, heading for the door, he paused. “Oh, and I suggest you take care of that mouse.” I froze again as they looked at me. Well the air vent anyways.
“I believe I will sir.”
The Shadow Man nodded and left.
Valadamir looked back at the air vent.
“Uh... Zaydie.... I suggest you get out of there.” Savrin remarked.
I didn’t answer as Valadamir came closer and closer to the air vent. I quickly picked up the camera and crawled back slowly.
“Oh dear, dear Kana-”
“What the hell did he just say?!” Kylun demanded. I was to busy to interrupt him and correct his crude language.
“He’s been calling her that ever sense we got here. Get use to it.” Sav answered. “And watch your language.”
I smiled slightly but I was still pretty occupied.
“You just couldn’t obey now could you? If I find that you have heard too much, I’m afraid you might be in big trouble...”
I pulled up my armor and scurried through the maze of air vents.
“Kylun get me out of here!” I yelled. Not bothering to keep my voice down.
“Got it. Take the tunnel to your immediate right.”
Following Kylun’s directions, I found my way back to where I had come in.
Taking off my armor and kicking out the covering I jumped down.
Landing softly, I ran down the hall. Jumping around the corner I skidded to a stop when I found a girl standing in front of me.
“Whoa! girl! I’m going to have to arrest you.”
“For what?!” I asked trying to play cool.
“I’ve been ordered to.” She tilted her head in such away that I had a memory relapse.
Her blond hair was up in a pony tail on the top of her head. Her long bangs were pinned to the sides of her face with bobby pins, there was two braids on either side of the back of her head that hung over her shoulders. Her green eyes looked....
“Quorra?”
Her eyes got big.
“... Zaydie?!”
I nodded.
Quorra squealed and jumped up and down.
She threw her arms around my neck and squeezed tight, while screaming in my ear.
“Oh my word, oh my word, oh my word!!! I can’t believe it!!! I prayed day and night! The Creator finally answered!!”
She finally let go, but was still bouncing.
“Zaydie who’s talking? we have no eyes remember?” Kylun asked annoyed.
“Oh wow your blind for once.” I mumbled.
Quorra cocked her head.
“Huh?”
“Nothing. Look at you!” I looked her up and down. she was tall now, same height as me actually.
She had on an orange shirt that was a little small, but she always was like that. Though she knew the lines.
She had on shorts, and gun holsters on her legs. Her tall boots came to her knees and she randomly had a pair of goggles hanging around her neck.

While I was studying her she was studying me.
“What’s with the really tight clothes?”
I glanced down.
Oh great.
“Come with me.”
I pulled her to the wardrobe room and we went in search for new clothes.
“Ooh! how about this one?!” Quorra held up a cute green top that was sleeveless.
“Ok, but what pants?”
We then went and dug for a bottom.
Quorra laughed.
“What?” I asked with a smile.
“Well it’s funny because I haven’t seen you in like... three years. And then we happen to bump into each other and now we’re going clothes shopping! Who knew?!” She exclaimed throwing her hands above her head.
“The Creator did.”
“Yeah! And he sure does have lots of surprises up his sleeves!”
I nodded.
“Oh! how about this?!” She pulled out a black pleated skirt.
I nodded.
“Sure!”
“Alrighty! On to shoes!” And off she went like a woman on a mission.
Which in her mind she was.

No comments:

Post a Comment