Three Chosen Kids + One Disaster after Another = a Saved Planet

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Chapter 3

Z                            Chapter 3:
A
Y                        Guys can be such pains!!
D                           But we couldn’t live with out them                                                          
I                               Now could we girls?
E



[before I get started, I have to say that the look on Sav’s face was priceless! Just saying haha.]

I walked passed him and headed strait to the mansions main doors.
Savrin quickly got a hold of himself and caught up with me.
“So you’re my back up huh?”
“Yup, whether you like it or not.” I stated with out taking my eyes off those big doors.
“I didn’t say I didn’t like it. I was just surprised of all the people in Shievan they chose you. Just seems a little odd don’t you think?” my eyes glanced up at him momentarily.
“I suppose.” I couldn’t say anything more. Not here, not now. They could be watching. Someone’s always watching.
Savrin seemed to get my drift, and turned his attention to the mission.
“What are we after?” I asked. Checking the door handle. It was melted shut. Great.
“All I know is that we’re after a paper in the library.” I turned to him and placed my hands on my hips.
“a paper? In the library? Got any more specifics, seeing as the library is full of papers!”
“Nope. That’s all he would say.”
“Fantastic.” I muttered.
Taking my sash off my hips, I wrapped it around my hand and was about to bust the window open when Savrin caught my wrist.
“Why don’t you ask first. I can make it much easier.” he stated. He put his palm on the glass and I suddenly felt a vibration run through the ground,…and house. The glass shattered and his hand came away unscathed. And the vibrating stopped.
He hopped through the window and offered me a hand. I looked at him and jumped through, with out his help.
He dropped his hand and acted like nothing happened. I took a quick look around the mansion.
Glass covered the floor, in such amounts that I couldn’t figure out where it had come from. Pillars were crumbling, statues were busted, furniture was overturned, and doors were busted down or burnt.
“where did all the glass come from?” I asked as I tried to get use to the smell of burnt wood.
Savrin pointed up as he moved up the stairs silently. I glanced up and saw that the entire roof was missing.
“oh.” the roof had been glass. Go figure.
We climbed the stairs in silence, it seemed wrong to talk in such a dreaded place. One that had obviously not lasted to long, and was still crumbling right before me.
I fixed the straps of my scabbards around my hips so they didn't dig into my skin.
“Ok were are all the soldiers?” I finally asked.
“it’s been like this for most of the mission. Except for the fiasco in the courtyard and two Scouts before that.” Sav answered.
“well…that can really only mean one thing…” our eyes met and it was like I was looking in a reflecting glass. We both knew what was coming. And we were going to have to depend on each other in order to pass it.
That was not my strong point.

Definitely with out thinking about it, I started to hum.
“what are you doing?” Savrin asked stepping in front of me, and making me stop dead in my tracks.
“what are you doing?” I asked back. He gave me a look.
“I hum when I’m nerves ok?! Sorry, I’ll try to stop but sometimes it’s like my tongue has a mind of it’s own.” he rolled his eyes and kept walking. Muttering something along the lines of ‘girls’, which got him a slap on the head.

We finally found the library…after hunting through out the house for it.
The library was actually the only thing that wasn’t destroyed! [that might be because it was so far into the cliff that it probably didn’t get to much damage by what ever caused the damage.]

My jaw dropped as I gazed upon all of the books. There were tons, and tons of books!! It was crazy. it would be impossible for anyone to read all of these in several life times, let alone one!
“Oh my.” I muttered. I slowly walked up to the closest book shelf. Running my fingers across the leather bound covers and gold printed titles.
“this is amazing. Look at all these books!” I whispered. “Maximums Kentle. Malcolm Rader. Their all here! Look at this.” I pulled down Draxium Lockheart. Flipping through the old yellow worn pages. Reading over my favorite poems. Memories of green fields, and yellow flowers ran through my head as my eyes skimmed over the pages.
“you actually understand that stuff?” Savrin asked as he took a peak over my shoulder.
“Of course. This one here. When it says grassy meadows, it means the good times in our lives. And then the thorns that eat the flowers, signify the things that we let take the beauty in our lives, it’s our fears that swallow every last ray of sunshine. But that’s where the sun comes in, the sun and its rays give the flowers a hope. A dream. That they’ll one day be free.” I explained. Gazing into his silver-blue eyes I was reminded of that dream. But also of a fear.
“You get that all from a few lines?” way to ruin the moment.
“Yes.” I answered. Placing the book back. “now come on. Let’s look for this paper.”
Not that it was hard to find. It was in a glass case at the end of the long library.
Walking to it gave me the shivers. There were non-flickering lights every few book shelves. Creating long shadows that moved across the floor as we moved down the dark and quiet hall.
“something’s going to jump us.” I whispered.
“Uh-huh.” but we still kept forward with determined steps.
“you have a plan?”
“Nope.”
“Oh great. That’s…lovely.” I glanced at him and saw the lopsided grin of his.
I brushed my hand against my right leg, checking to see if my backup weapon was still in place. [and no, I’m not going to tell you what it is. You’ll just have to figure it out ‘kay?]
“I don’t like this.”
“That’s the point. Your not suppose to.” I shot him a look.
“I got that thanks. But I would feel much better if the thing would just jump us already!”
“be careful what you wish for.” he warned. “because it might just come true.”
“Oh yeah? I wish for a chocolate bar.” I gestured around. “No chocolate bar.”
“Well I didn’t say it would happen instantaneously.” he pointed out.
I sighed but no snappy comeback came to mind.

We made it to the glass case with out incident, which wasn’t good.
I was the first to make it. I couldn’t stand it any more and I dashed the last few paces.
Removing my sash again I smashed the glass.
“What is with you? I could have saved you the trouble.” Savrin asked sarcastically.
“Maybe I just like smashing things.” I pointed out. I pulled the scroll out of the glass fragments. Tugging on the ribbon, I pulled it open.
“Now what are you doing? We’re not suppose to look at the paper.”
“He never said we couldn’t.” I pointed out. But unfortunately, I wasn’t able to read it.
I guess breaking the glass set off an alarm because something started to move in that library. and it wasn't just us. [Savrin says I look like a second grader pointing out the obvious]
there was a low hum somewhere close by.
"That wasn't me." I threw out there as I pulled out my ureci.
"I figured that out thanks." there was a deep rumble, followed by high pitched screeching. I put my hands over my ears and cringed under the sound.
when I looked up, I saw the tallest moving thing that I never could have even imagined!!
“Ooh my...” I whispered.
“I think you got your wish.” Savrin commented with a strait face. he pulled out this...well to me it looked like a clump of mettle till it started to unfold it’s self! it was three joints, and I could see the gears moving in those joints. it soon extended to it’s full length which was pretty long.
“Whoa! what the?” I looked up at him with a look that said ‘are you serious?!’ at least...I hope that’s what it said. [Sav assures me, that it did indeed say that.]
“Got any other tricks up your sleeve I should know about?” I asked.
“I don’t know. Do you?” he shot back with a grin. I yanked out my ureci and looked back at the thing that was moving for us.
“stay tuned.” he laughed.

Turning my attention back to the thing that was marching it’s way down the hall, I loosened my joints. Looking up, I met a pair of red glowing eyes. oh boy.
The thing must have been around eight or nine feet tall. It had a human form, but everything else, definitely wasn't human.
It's body was made of complete metal [hence all the screeching] and it looked like they were all connected by glowing red lines all over his body. but the lines all led up to the big square in the middle of his chest.
"Ok I'm guessing that's his week spot." I stated rather dumbly.
"Yeah either that, or it's where he gets the most power from." Savrin pointed out so kindly.
"And...there's that too. So what's the plan?" I asked again, handing over the document/paper-thingy.
"kill it, and then go home so I can take a shower."
"Oh yeah some plan. um how about a plan on how to do that!" to late!
we scattered to the opposite ends of the room as the robot sent a huge club down at us! smashing the pedestal the paper was on before.
I watched as Savrin charged the dump thing. I rolled my eyes and followed. He called for back up, so he got back up. Though he should have called for an army.
we both jumped into the air aiming for the same target. but once I saw that we both were going to collide into each other again, I used the spring board to throw myself backwards.
Landing smoothly, I shot up again and went for the big guys head. what else could I do?
He tried to swing at me with his club, but he's a little rusty. I grabbed the club and swung myself around it, getting the momentum, I then swung myself, feet first for his head.
I hit it too.
I hit it hard, and when I did a shock went up my feet, through my body and to my head sending me another headache. I felt myself falling, but I quickly used the spring board again.
Taking better hold on my ureci, I stabbed his eyes. the ureca hit a liquid and it burst. I wasn't sure what it was, so instinctively I pulled up a shield. The red stuff hit it, then evaporated. His left eye was down.
But then his right hand swatted me out of the air.
I braced myself for the hard impact, only...there wasn't one. I guess part of being a back up, is that your partner is your back up too.
because when I managed to stop scrunching my eyes and look up, Savrin was holding me up while still floating in midair.
"wakey-wakey. We've got work to do." He said. I rolled my eyes.
"Tell me about it." I lifted my hands above my head and pushed off a spring board, sending myself flying once again. Only this time, I went for the thingy on his chest.

taking my ureca I tried to cut into the red square, but it was to thick. There was something protecting it.
Pulling out a small disk from a hidden pocket in my pants, I pressed a button on the dial and flipped backwards.
Ducking to miss his hand, I pointed it at the red thing. A silver beam shot out of the disk, shattering a hard glass that protected the gem. Spinning several times to get closer, I used the end of my ureca to crack the gem.
I glanced up and saw Savrin mess with his gloves again, then he pounded the guys head, sending him to the ground, with both of us on top.
Savrin took his sword and with a loud battle cry, sliced the guys head off.
Well, that's that.

It took a moment for my heart to stop beating so fast, and for my breathing to come easier.
"What the hel-"
"Sh! don't you know not to say bad words?" I interrupted. I know it was a little childish, but I really hated it when people said mean things, it just ticks me off.
He took a deep breath, and I spun off the dead robot and put my ureci away. I picked up the small disk off the ground and slipped it back in the hidden pocket.
"It's called a rquel." I informed him. "Now can we get out of this depressed place?" I asked. Savrin sighed and took a hold of my waist tightly.
"I suggest you hold on tight." It was a little odd, and I felt slightly embarrassed, but I wrapped my arms around his neck. He stared right into my eyes, and I noticed there was no hint of play in his face. "And what ever you do, don't let go." I gave a curt nod, and a shock wave soared through my body. My grip tightened, and so did his. [to the point where it hurt but oh well] The shock sent pain all the way through my body. It was excruciating.
Before I knew it we were back in the white glowing panel room. We quickly let go and took a step apart casually. The metal door opened and we stepped out and into the control room.
"Very good job. You did fantastically!" The nerd said from behind the reading monitors.
"Well thanks." I retorted. "So in other words, we survived this simulation, but can you at least tell us what's on the paper?"
Savrin handed the paper over to his mentor, Braxlin. Who undid the ribbon again and gave us a nod.
"Some unfinished paperwork." he answered not looking up at us.
"You mean to say, that we did all of that, for some paperwork?!" It was hard not to keep the tone out of my voice.
"Yes. Now your both excused." Braxlin told us. Only then did he look up at us. "I suggest you take a break. I hear the pound cake is delicious tonight." Turning his back, we got the memo.
I gave out a 'huff' and marched out of the room, and then the building.

Outside, I sprinted across the grass courtyard and jumped the wall. Legally, I wasn't allowed to do that, but every kid did it anyway. Well,...Every Shievan did anyway. Skidding on the gravel, I flipped down a flight of stairs and spun around the corner.
Through Sindo, I could sense someone chasing me. Ha great. Practice.
But not in middle of a busy street. Dashing into an alley way, I scaled a wall and flipped onto the roof. Not stopping, I ran across the roof top, jumping over the gaps to the next one as if it was something I did everyday [which is practically was]
But the chaser was still on my tail.
Gathering up energy, I plunged myself off the roof, I spun around as I fell, my fingers found the gutter of the house, using the spring board again I sent my feet flying over my head, I turn to see what I was going to hit, only I hit it before I could see anything clearly. It was just a blur of black. I sent him to the other edge of the house, but lucky for him, he dug his toes into the shingles making him come to a stop. But I didn't.
I lunged at him sending a wave of punches to almost every area of his upper body. He was caught off guard so I was able to land a few, but he had a quick recovery and blocked most of them.
I let my anger fuel me, which wasn't part of my training, but I had to let it out sometime, and now seemed as good a time as any.
Ducking down and spinning around him, I hit the back of his knees. He dropped down and rolled out from under me.
"What is wrong with you?" for the first time I realized I was fighting Savrin. Not that that stopped me. [I am not a madman Sav thank you very much! at least...not on a good day]
I didn't answer I just hit him again.
He dodged my second blow and swiped my feet out from under me. I hit the shingles hard, but quickly rolled away as Savrin tried to grab my arms.
He finally got them but he forgot about my legs as I hit him in the face with my boot.
"Gosh Zaydie! Calm down!" he groaned. Finally he pinned me down by sitting on top of me. [great guy. Don't you hit me!]
"Everything Sav. Everything's wrong with me." I answered through gritted teeth. "My life, my family, my dad-gumit life!" and...I fell apart. Tears and all.
Savrin slowly got off. But he didn’t let go. He just pulled me close and I cried into his shoulder. All of the emotion of the day, and of my dreaded life pored out right there on a roof top, and in Savrin’s shoulder! of all people! [no there is nothing wrong with you Sav, it was just unexpected. Duh!]
when I finally was able to breath again with out more sobs escaping, I pulled away and ran my hand over my eyes.
“Sorry. I don’t usually fall apart like that.” I mumbled. Drawing my legs up to my chest I rested my chin on my knees.
“It’s fine. No harm done. Just one thing. Don’t call me ‘Sav’ please.” Even with the ‘please’ at the end, it still sounded like an order.
I gave him a hard look but didn’t push it. Pushing myself to my feet, I walked to the edge of the roof and jumped down into the dark alley.
Walking into the busy street I pulled up my hood against the falling rain, and pulled my arms close to my middle.
Savrin silently fell into step with me.
“Better?” I glanced up at him. His jacket didn’t have a hood, so his face was getting wet. Not to say mine wasn’t but his was already drenched and his hair was now plastered to his face.
“Not really, but...I’m not about to have a mental breakdown if that’s what you mean.”
“That’s always good. Mind if we dive into the bakery? I’m getting soaked.” I shrugged, and let him lead me into a warm heavenly smelling bakery.
As I looked at all the displays of the different pastries that they sold, I made up my mind.
I was going to have to get one!
I heard Savrin chuckle behind me. “You look as if you’ve never seen dessert before. Why don’t you go sit down before you pass out of hunger.” I gave him a playful jab in the arm and went to go sit on the small bench that was in side this little alcove that was made out of windows. It was a nice wood bench with a comfy pillow on it for older people. [and younger I guess, haha] The little place would have been perfect if the sun was shining but it still raining. That would be nice. Either that or a fire. I would go with either.
“Here.” I looked out of my daydream and felt something hot in my hands. Glancing down I saw a hot cup of coffee and a chocolate coated pastry.
“Uh...how much did this cost?” I asked. I sensed Savrin sitting down next to me. He looked at me.
“Let’s just say it’s my thanks for the back up today. Why? allergic to chocolate or something?”
I pointed to the drink. He almost spit out his own mouth full.
“your allergic to coffee?!” I nodded.
“Yeah I’m allergic to the beans they use to make coffee.”
“oh...” I could tell he wasn’t really sure what to do.
“But it’s fine! don’t worry about it.” I carefully placed the cup on the floor a little ways from my feet. I then turned to him and smiled. He was still looking confused.
“don’t worry about it. I’ll pay you back.”  That got to him.
“Nah. It’s fine. Keep your money. I’m sure you would have given me confederate money it anyway.” My jaw dropped.
“Hey!! I’m not that mean!” He laughed.
“Could have fooled me with the way you tossed me on the other side of the roof like it was nothing.” I opened my mouth to say something, then closed it when nothing came to mind. So instead I bit into the pastry.
It was quiet for a few minutes as we ate. I watched the rain lightly tap against the window. With the flickering candles and the fire going, the bakery was full of a soft glow, warm temperatures, and the welcoming smell of warm goods.
I hadn’t seen Savrin in years! I didn’t want this moment to end so quickly.
“So...how’s Braxlin been treating you?” I piped up.
“Braxlin is...Braxlin. He puts a lot of pressure on me on top of all the expectations.”
“Well yeah, Brinlynn does that to me too, but what’s it like having one of the top Shievan as your mentor?” I pestered. He sighed and looked at me with sadness in his blue-grey eyes.
“It’s not all that Zadie. That only puts more pressure on me. Everyone expects me to turn out like him, everyone thinks that I’ll be just as strong as him.” I saw the flash of depression in his eyes. No one expected that from me. But that’s probably because Brin wasn’t as popular as Brax.
“I don’t expect that from you.” I heard myself say as I stared at my hands.
“I mean, your only human. We might be enhanced humans, but we’re not gods or something. Only the Creator is perfect.” I added to my previous statement. A grin appeared on Savrin’s face.
“I have been blessed beyond measure.” he stated. He leaned back against the bench, and stared out the window.
I was confused. [as if that’s not unusual] What’s a blessing?
“Um...excuse me?” he smiled kindly.
“I’m glad you rammed into me earlier today. And then threw me across the roof. And saved my butt in the simulation.” What did these embarrassing moments have to do with a blessing? [well most of them except the last one. haha] “Because if you hadn’t then we wouldn’t be setting here having this conversation.” I nodded slowly.
“And I am really glad that you pointed that out to me. Lately I’ve been really down about all this pressure and all. My training is almost over and so I have to pass the test to become a fully privileged Shievan.” I guess I hadn’t realized it, but Savrin is probably farther ahead in his training then I am. “so that only adds on to everything else. And all this time I’ve been trying to do everything perfectly. But like you said. I’m only human.”
“Ooh!...” I chuckled nervously. “Um yes. I guess you are blessed. Though I think your the first to call me a blessing. People usually call me a pain, or a disaster, sometimes even a tornado! And you really don’t have to keep listening to me by the way.” I muttered, taking another bite to keep myself from saying anything else.
Savrin laughed. I liked his laugh. It was comforting, and warm.
“You have a very interesting way of look at things.” He commented.
“Is that good or bad?” I ventured to ask. After I had swallowed.
“It’s refreshing.” I took that as a good thing.
“Alrighty then.” I said quietly.
“Well...we had better get going or we’re going to get a beating.” I nodded and stood up. Shoving the last bit in my mouth I grabbed the cup of coffee off the floor. Not really sure what to do with it, I looked around for a trash can.
“are you going to finish that ma’am?” I looked around and then noticed a boy that was soaking wet. He looked to be 9 or 10, his brown skin was full of cuts, and he had a bloody lip.
“No. Would you like it?” His big brown eyes grew wide in surprise. I knelt down before him and gently pushed the cup into his small cold hands.
“Here. It will warm you up a little.” He looked down, then back up at me. Carefully placing it on the floor, he then jumped me and wrapped his arms around my neck.
“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” I smiled and gave him a squeeze.
When he pulled away he did something even more unexpected. He placed his hand on my forehead. Looking me strait in the eye, he spoke in a clear voice.
“May the Creator watch over you and guide you.
May you be blessed, and be a blessing.
May the Creator protect you, and light your path
through the dark times.”
Then he scooped up the cup and dashed out the door.
I rose to my feet and stared at the door as it swung shut.
“See?” Savrin asked, elbowing me. “I told you your a blessing.” I smiled and pulled up my hood again as we stepped outside.
I wish we never had to leave that bakery. Because I wasn’t prepared for what was waiting for us outside.

3 comments:

  1. Cool! Only thing, I think you meant counterfeit money ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you think I meant counterfeit money???

    ReplyDelete
  3. when you said confederate money...or I could be wrong :) Btw, for some reason my e-mail doesn't let me know when you comment back on these things, so this came a little late ;)

    ReplyDelete